Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fruity Ice Cream in a Minute

Please do not forward this recipe to the James Beard Foundation. This is not a groundbreaking, insightful, or really very interesting idea. It's just some frozen fruit, yogurt, and soy milk. But it is delicious. So, therein lies the beauty of it. I stumbled upon this one day; I guess like all great ideas discovered by man, (and I do mean "man" not as in mankind, but man as in men. Women discover stuff by careful study and determination. We men, discover by tripping over truths laid plainly out before us, like my running shoes left on the floor on a midnight visit to the bathroom.) we stumble upon them.

I was going to make a nice yogurt/ fruit treat one day after a run. I had always used fresh fruit, but had recently purchased some frozen blueberries for convenience, i.e. laziness. I contend that laziness is sometimes the mother of invention. Anyway, I mixed everything together and as I was about to enjoy my fruity-yogurt, the phone rang. I took the call; and as I am known to do, I paced around the house with the phone. I simply cannot talk on the phone in a stationary position. When I stumbled back to my yogurt and frozen berry concoction, it had frozen. Voila'! Frozen (kind of) Blueberry Ice cream.

From the photo above you can detect the ingredients. So simple even I don't have to write them down on a list when I go to the grocery store to pick them up. Stonyfield Low Fat French Vanilla yogurt, Silk Soy milk, and frozen berries...strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, mixed or individually. The kids may not like the blacks, straw and raspberries as much because of the tiny seeds. My wife hates those.

You'll need about a cup of berries, 4 tbs. of yogurt, -I like the French Vanilla as shown above, and a few good splashes of soy milk. Mix together and put in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, and then for the coup de grace, add some chopped walnuts or crumbled Kashi pumpkin spice bar.

So there you go, a perfect mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack to chase away the hungries. Simple and delicious, -that's what my wife says about me; well actually just the first part.

No comments:

Post a Comment