Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Runner's Diet Does Not Have to Be Boring


Just got in from a 4 mile run. I'm training for the upcoming Music City (1/2 for me) Marathon in Nashville on April 24th. This will be my 2nd 1/2 Marathon in 6 months, which is a first for me. I've run the St. Jude 1/2 Marathon the previous 3 years, but that has been my only 1/2 marathon on the calendar. So, this is exciting - a second long distance event for the calendar and a road trip!

So far, with the help of a new knee brace, it has been an injury-free training period. The weather here has been lousy this late winter -very cold and lots of rain, which is unusual for our part of the country. So, that has put me back a bit. But, if I can keep the wheels in good shape, I should be ready to hit the hilly streets of Nashville in just a few short weeks from now.

I'm also excited to meet my running guru, John Bingham - "The Penguin." He is scheduled to be at the race and I'm hoping to get a chance to visit with him and his wife Jenny Hadfield. I have run my whole career…3 whole years now, ha ha, based on their philosophy of running your own race, at your own pace. John is known by his followers, by his tag line, "Waddle On." So, you know we are no speedsters here. Just fellow "penguins," waddling on.

For lunch I'm going to have a toasted whole-wheat English muffin with peanut butter and honey, a couple pretzels, a few orange essence dried plums, (ok, they're prunes) and a wonderful square of Hershey's Special dark chocolate. Who says a running diet has to be boring?

For dinner we are having a smoked-on-the-grill pork tenderloin, rubbed with Keith's Farm Sweet and Hot BBQ Seasoning (ok, shameless plug here), rosemary roasted sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli…and my favorite -Toasted Walnut Oil Salad (see post below).

-Lots of good protein, complex-carbs, greens, and flavor! Again, who says a runner's diet has to be boring???

Tonight's Recipes:

Pork tenderloin: -pat dry and lightly rub with olive oil, and then roll in Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

Rosemary Sweet Potatoes:
2 large sweet potatoes
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup White Truffle Olive oil (another shameless plug)
1/8 cup chopped fresh rosemary
Dash of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Dash of garlic powder

Pre-heat conventional oven to 400 degrees
Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Mix rest of ingredients together.
Place cubed sweet potatoes in a large, non-stick spray coated cooking dish. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Take out of oven, let sit for 10 minutes. Coat the cubes with the walnut, rosemary, olive oil, and seasoning mixture. Place back in oven and cook uncovered for another 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Steamed Broccoli: Pretty sure you can figure that one out…

So, there it is! Hopefully it will fuel me for another good run on Thursday. Four miles today, four on Thursday and then up to 6 on Saturday or Sunday. This is not crazy training, it's just waddling on. Bon Appetit, and maybe I'll see you out on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment